Viktor Yushchenko (file photo)
Kyiv, 1 December 2004 -- Opposition Ukrainian presidential candidate Viktor Yushchenko said today he would agree to a repeat of the November 21 election but rejected a proposal for an entirely new election.
After the multiparty meeting outgoing President Leonid Kuchma said the two sides reached other agreements.
"The parties reaffirm their determination to exclude the use of force in resolving the problems that followed the second round of Ukrainian presidential elections," he said. "The parties agreed to immediately end the blockade of government bodies and create conditions for their functioning."
Yushchenko met this evening with his rival and declared winner in the November poll, Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych, and with Ukrainian government officials and foreign diplomats in an attempt to resolve the political crisis that has gripped the country since elections.
Yushchenko supporters say the poll was rigged. Yushchenko said he would run against Yanukovych again, but would not agree to a proposal that new elections be held with different candidates.
Earlier in the day, Ukraine's parliament approved a nonbinding resolution of no confidence in Yanukovych' government. Commenting on the parliament's resolution, President Kuchma said he would act in accordance with the constitution.
Yanukovych rejected the resolution completely calling it politically motivated and illegal.Other recent stories include:"Ukrainian Legislature Rejects Government""Foreign Mediators Push To Resolve Ukraine Crisis""Is Kuchma's Proposal For New Vote A Bid To Sideline Yushchenko?""Did President Putin Miscalculate In Ukraine?""Ukraine's Parliament Adjourns Without No-Confidence Motion"
and"Will Ukraine Split In Wake Of Divisive Ballot?"Click here for more RFE/RL coverage of Ukraine's disputed presidential election.