23 August 2005 (RFE/RL) -- Al-Qaeda in Iraq says it is behind last week's failed attack on U.S. warships in Jordan's Red Sea port of Aqaba.
The group, led by Jordanian-born Abu Mus'ab al-Zarqawi, said perpetrators of Friday's rocket strikes had returned safely to their base.
The attack, in which the rockets missed the U.S. warships but killed a Jordanian soldier, was earlier claimed by another al-Qaeda-linked group.
Today's announcement was made in a statement posted on the Internet.
It came one day after Jordan said it had arrested a Syrian national suspected, along with three other men, of plotting the attack.
The Jordanian statement said the other three had escaped into Iraq using forged Iraqi passports. It added that the four were part of an Iraq-based group that was not named.
"Al-Zarqawi Tactics Could Be Alienating Supporters"