Fifteen Iraqis were killed in the clash involving U.S. Marines last November (file photo) (CTK)
March 17, 2006 -- The U.S. military has opened a criminal investigation into allegations that U.S. Marines may have intentionally targeted civilians in a clash with insurgents last year.
Some 15 Iraqi civilians were killed in the clash, in November of 2005, in the town of Al-Hadithah, north of Baghdad.
Lieutenant General Peter Chiarelli, the commander of the Multinational Forces in Iraq, said today that the allegations would be thoroughly investigated. He didn't give details.
The United States has been widely criticized for endangering the lives of civilians in skirmishes with insurgents. The military says it does not target civilians.