Accessibility links

Attacks Kill, Injure Afghans, International Troops

April 7, 2006 -- Separate attacks in Afghanistan have killed an Afghan civilian and wounded two others, in addition to wounding four German soldiers and three Americans.

Germany's Defense Ministry says four of its soldiers were wounded in separate attacks in northern Afghanistan. The ministry said a German military convoy was attacked near Faizabad, and an explosive device detonated under a German patrol north of Kunduz. One Afghan civilian was reported killed and two wounded in those attacks.

Also in Afghanistan, a suicide car bomber in the south of the country lightly wounded two U.S. soldiers and one American civilian contractor.

Afghan officials had reported earlier that two British soldiers were wounded in the incident.

The U.S. military said in a statement the attacker died in the morning attack in Lashkar Ghar, the main town in Helmand Province. The bomb went off outside the main gate of the base of a British-run provincial reconstruction team. No one has yet claimed responsibility for the assault.

Some 3,300 British troops are currently being deployed in Helmand, one of Afghanistan's main opium-producing regions.

(compiled from agency reports)