Zokir Almatov (file photo) (official site)
February 2, 2007 (RFE/RL) -- Uzbeks who were victims of the May 2005 violence in the eastern city of Andijon are appealing a decision by Germany's federal prosecutor not to investigate former Uzbek Interior Minister Zokir Almatov.
Human Rights Watch said today that the victims submitted their appeal to the Higher Regional Court in Stuttgart last week.
A dedicated webpage of RFE/RL's coverage of the events in Andijon in May 2005 and their continuing repercussions.
The federal prosecutor had rejected their December 2005 complaint that called for Almetov to be investigated for crimes against humanity.
Holly Cartner, the Europe and Central Asia director at Human Rights Watch, said by rejecting the original case file by the victims, "Germany's federal prosecutor has exacerbated the environment of impunity that exists for foreign officials accused of crimes against humanity."
The original complaint was filed in Germany as Almatov had been receiving medical treatment there.
The Uzbek government says 189 people were killed when escaped prisoners mixed with peaceful protesters in Andijon and troops were sent in to restore order. Witnesses claim the figure was much higher.
The event sent hundreds fleeing into neighboring Kyrgyzstan, many of whom were relocated by the UN to other countries, including Germany.