Accessibility links

Russian, French Firms Launch Joint Energy Venture


http://gdb.rferl.org/f0348d29-c618-4888-846e-aaee757cc54d_w203.jpg --> http://gdb.rferl.org/f0348d29-c618-4888-846e-aaee757cc54d_mw800_mh600.jpg (RFE/RL) April 2, 2007 -- The French industrial group Alstom and Russia's Atomenergoprom have agreed to establish a joint venture to build turbines and nuclear reactors.

Atomenergomash is a subsidiary of Atomenergoprom, the state-owned company in charge of producing equipment for Russia's civil nuclear program.

Alstom said today in a statement that Atomenergomash is to own 51 percent of the new group, with Alstom holding the remaining 49 percent. The venture will be located in Podolsk, close to Moscow.

(AFP)
Nuclear Power's Resurgence

Nuclear-fuel pellets being produced in Kazakhstan (TASS)

LOOKING FOR ALTERNATIVES. Despite warnings from scientists, the world seems unable to stem its insatiable appetite for fossil fuels, which are producing the greenhouse gases blamed for global warming. And emissions are set to rise dramatically in the next few years. Is it time for the environmental movement to drop its opposition to nuclear power? (more)


RELATED ARTICLES

IAE Report Urges Governments To Embrace Nuclear Power

Russia's Nuclear Ambitions Heating Up

Moscow Seeks To Reignite Nuclear Power Industry

France Chosen To Host Experimental Fusion Reactor Project

Nuclear Power Set For Growth

China/India: Emerging Giants Look To Nuclear Power


Reports from an RFE/RL conference on energy-security issues.

XS
SM
MD
LG