http://gdb.rferl.org/A0E53D1E-0B17-4FA4-869B-99B22BDCB6DC_w203.jpg --> http://gdb.rferl.org/A0E53D1E-0B17-4FA4-869B-99B22BDCB6DC_mw800_mh600.jpg
Dooronbek Sadyrbaev (reading) at a demonstration last year (RFE/RL)
BISHKEK, September 12, 2007 (RFE/RL) -- Kyrgyz opposition lawmaker Dooronbek Sadyrbaev has said he doesn't think any official will go on trial in Kyrgyzstan under the current situation for a deadly incident five years ago, RFE/RL's Kyrgyz Service reports.
Sadyrbaev heads a parliamentary commission for the investigation into the tragedy that occurred in the southern district of Aksy in March 2002. At least five people were killed when police fired on protesters.
Speaking to journalists in Bishkek today, Sadyrbaev said some officials who are allegedly involved in the shooting still hold top posts.
"Why are those [officials] who force the Kyrgyz [nation] to be blamed by history [for allowing the shooting] still keeping high official positions? This is the main [problem]," he said.
He also said the only way to punish those responsible is to hand over the case to an international court.
Human-rights campaigners have urged Kyrgyz authorities to bring to justice officials who allegedly gave police the order to fire at the Aksy shooting.
The event sparked widespread protests in Kyrgyzstan that led to the resignation of the government two months later. An amnesty issued for all those involved was later granted by President Askar Akaev.
Current President Kurmanbek Bakiev was prime minister when the incident occurred. Bakiev has denied any connection to an order to shoot at protesters.
The Supreme Court agreed on June 28 to a request by the Prosecutor-General's Office to reopen an investigation into the shooting.
Sadyrbaev is expected to issue the parliamentary commission's report on September 14 in parliament.
He said nine of the 10 members of the commission signed the final report's text today. He also asked that the commission's report be broadcast live on national television.