Accessibility links

Grozny Reported Quiet

Moscow, Mar. 11 (RFE/RL) -- The Chechen capital Grozny was mostly quiet today as Russian forces retook their positions after repelling last week's full-scale assault by several hundred Chechen separatists.

Our correspondent reports that public transport has restarted in the city center. But Grozny remains without water or electricity. Interfax says at least two Russian soldiers were killed and another eight wounded in skirmishes overnight.

The Russian government yesterday claimed victory over Chechen fighters who tried to retake the city last week. But groups of separatist fighters remain in some suburbs of Grozny. Also yesterday, Chechen military commander Shamil Basayev threatened to carry out attacks in Dagestan, neighboring Chechnya, to avenge his forces' defeat in Grozny.

Meanwhile, the commander of Russian forces in Chechnya, General Vyacheslav Tikhomirov, said today residents of Sernovodsk can continue to return to their homes, using a corridor secured by Russian forces.

Itar-Tass quoted Tikhomirov, who said the corridor into Sernovodsk, some 35 km east of the Chechen capital Grozny, will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time. Tikhomirov said all armed operations in Sernovodsk against Chechen separatists were completed on Saturday. He said Russian soldiers are currently defusing mines in the village.