Grozny, April 10 (RFE/RL) - Chechen separatist spokesman Movladi
Udugov is quoted telling The French news agency AFP today that 10
people were killed in an unsuccessful assassination attempt against
Chechen separatist Military Chief Aslan Maskhadov.
Udugov says Maskhadov was unhurt in the bomb attack in Tsotsin Yurt
in eastern Chechnya yesterday. There is no independent confirmation
of the report.
Speaking by telephone to our Moscow correspondent today, separatist leader Dzhokhar Dudayev's International Affairs Adviser, Eduard Khatchukayev, confirmed the attempt against Maskhadov but provided no additional details.
The bombing is reported to have occurred during a religious ceremony at a cemetery.
Udugov says the explosive was placed under the podium where
Maskhadov was to address participants. Udugov says it killed nine men and one woman.
Maskhadov had been scheduled to visit the village, located about 25 kms east of Grozny. The bomb apparently went off before Maskhadov arrived at the cemetery. He then canceled his visit.