Accessibility links

Official says Suspect in Nalchik acted on Chechen Instruction


Moscow, July 5 (RFE/RL) -- A Russian Security official says Chechen separatists were behind a bus bombing which killed six people in Nalchik, capital of the Southern Russian autonomous republic of Kabardino-Balkaria last week.

Itar-Tass quoted Federal Security Service spokesman Aleksandr Zdanovich as saying that an arrested bomb suspect, whose identity was not disclosed, has said he had been acting on the instruction of Chechen separatists.

According to Zdanovich, the organizers of the terrorist act were trying to destabilize the situation in the Northern Caucasus before the second round of Russia's presidential elections.

There is no Chechen separatist comment on the accusation.

The bomb exploded in Nalchik, some 130 kilometers West of the breakaway Chechen republic. The bus was en route from the Southern Russian town of Mineralnye Vody to the capital of North Ossetia, Vladikavkaz.
XS
SM
MD
LG