Accessibility links

Chechen Rebels Will Not Respond to Russian Attacks

Moscow, July 18 (RFE/RL) -- The Chechen rebel command has decided not to respond to Russian army attacks on Chechen villages and will abstain from large-scale operations in the breakaway republic.

A Chechen rebel spokesman, Movladi Udugov, told our Moscow correspondent today that after three days of consultations the separatist leadership, including major field commanders, has decided not to undertake a counter-offensive against Russian troop attacks.

However, Udugov says Chechen separatists will continue guerrilla operations against Russian troops in Chechnya. Udugov says the rebels' major task is to implement the cease-fire agreement signed last month by Russian Prime Minister Viktor Chernomyrdin and Chechen leader Zelimkhan Yandarbyiev.