Accessibility links

Russia: Chechen Police Detain Suspects In OSCE Attack


Moscow, 24 July 1997 (RFE/RL) - Chechen authorities say they have arrested those responsible for a recent robbery at the OSCE office in the Chechen capital of Grozny.

Chechnya's Porsecutor General Khavazh Serbiyev said Tuesday night's attack was organized by a man who worked as a guard at the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe office.

Quoted today by Interfax, Serbiyev said the arrests were made last night, but he did not say how many suspects were being held.

The assailants made off with about $30,000 as well as office equipment. None of the OSCE foreign staff was at the office at the time. They also were reported earlier to have kidnapped two guards, one of whom was soon released. Interfax made no mention of the fate of the second guard.

Meanwhile, Chechnya's new security chief, Apti Batalov, demanded today that two remaining Chechens, kidnapped earlier this month in North Ossetia, be freed at once. Batalov said the kidnappers should be punished.
XS
SM
MD
LG