Accessibility links

Iraq Has Plans In Case Of Early U.S. Withdrawal


Iraqi Interior Ministry spokesman Major General Abdul-Karim Khalaf

Iraqi Interior Ministry spokesman Major General Abdul-Karim Khalaf

BAGHDAD (RFE/RL) -- Iraq says it has contingency plans in case of an unexpectedly rapid withdrawal by U.S. and allied troops from the country.

Interior Ministry spokesman Major General Abdul-Karim Khalaf told RFE/RL's Radio Free Iraq that Iraqi forces are capable of assuming responsibility for security throughout the country, regardless of U.S. President Barack Obama’s pledge to remove U.S. combat troops from Iraq by August 31, 2010.

He added that some 24 U.S. units are expected to be pulled out by that time.

Khalaf said that recent bomb attacks in parts of Iraq do not signal a reversal in the country's security situation, which has witnessed notable improvements over the last year.
XS
SM
MD
LG