Accessibility links

Al-Qaeda-Linked Militants Say Behind Baghdad Bombings


Iraqi soldiers inspect the site of one of the car-bomb attacks, in the Al-Qahira neighborhood of Baghdad, on December 8.

Iraqi soldiers inspect the site of one of the car-bomb attacks, in the Al-Qahira neighborhood of Baghdad, on December 8.

BAGHDAD (Reuters) -- Iraqi insurgents linked with Al-Qaeda claimed responsibility for bombings this week that killed 112 people and said their campaign of violence would continue.

The Islamic State of Iraq posted a statement on December 9, a day after the attacks, on a website used by militants, according to SITE, a U.S.-based group that monitors such websites.

The December 8 attacks wounded 425 people, when four car bombs ripped through the Iraqi capital.

Health Ministry officials said 77 people died but police sources put the toll higher at 112.

The group said it had targeted the Labor and Finance ministries and judicial buildings in its "third wave" of attacks. The authenticity of the claim could not be verified.

The same group previously claimed responsibility for twin suicide bombings on Oct. 25 at the Justice Ministry and Baghdad governorate headquarters that killed 155 people, and for two others on Aug. 19 that killed 95 people at two other ministries.

The Islamic State of Iraq said it will keep up attacks until "Shari'a of Allah rules the land and the worshippers."

Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki condemned on December 9 what he said was foreign support for the bombings.

Jihad al-Jabiri, head of the Interior Ministry's ordnance department, said the militants belonged to Al-Qaeda or Saddam Hussein's outlawed Ba'ath Party and had backing from Syria, Saudi Arabia, or another government.
XS
SM
MD
LG