NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Suspected Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad has been ordered held without bail in his first court appearance since his arrest two weeks ago.
Magistrate Judge James Francis remanded Shahzad in custody after his court-appointed defense lawyer, Julia Gatto, opted not to challenge the prosecutors' request that he remain jailed pending trial in Manhattan federal court.
Shahzad, 30, remained expressionless and silent as the judge read the charges. He spoke only once to say a statement about his finances was correct.
Shahzad entered the courtroom unshackled, wearing a grey sweatshirt and grey sweat pants with white gym shoes, and was handcuffed before being led to jail.
Shahzad did not enter a plea and the next court date was scheduled for June 1.
The Pakistani-born man, who became a U.S. citizen last year, is accused of parking a crude car bomb in New York's crowded Times Square on May 1. He was arrested aboard a Dubai-bound jetliner two days later.
He has been charged with 5 felonies, including attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and trying to kill and maim people. He faces life in prison if convicted.
Prosecutors said Shahzad has admitted to the failed Times Square bomb attack and has been cooperating with investigators since his arrest on May 3.
Prosecutors said Shahzad, who has a wife and two children in Pakistan, had traveled to a Taliban and al Qaeda stronghold in Pakistan to receive bomb-making training.
The Pakistani Taliban, called Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, has claimed responsibility for the attempted bombing.
Shahzad has been charged with five felonies in the May 1 incident: attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction, attempting acts of terrorism transcending national boundaries, using a destructive device in an attempted violent crime, transporting and receiving explosives, and trying to damage and destroy property with fire and explosives.