Afghan authorities say 50 militants, including foreign fighters, have been killed over a 24-hour period in a security operation in the country's east.
The Afghan Defense Ministry said in a statement that the dead insurgents included Pakistanis, Arabs, Uzbeks, and Chechens.
The statement said the "massive" operation by Afghan security forces in the eastern provinces of Nangarhar, Paktia, and Logar was proceeding "successfully and accordingly."
On July 29, the ministry claimed Afghan forces had killed 83 militants in a separate weeklong offensive in the east.
The Afghan National Army and police took the lead for security around the country last month ahead of the drawdown of international forces that is to be completed by the end of 2014.
Based on reporting by dpa and RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan