Accessibility links

Taliban Claims Responsibility For Kabul Bombing


A Taliban spokesman has claimed responsibility for a major explosion that struck a checkpoint outside the entrance to the Kabul airport.

Authorities say at least five people were killed and 16 injured by a suicide car bomber on August 10, although casualty reports are still being confirmed.

An Interior Ministry official was quoted as saying "there are both civilian and security-forces casualties."

The AFP news agency reported numerous ambulances at the scene.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the attack targeted the occupants of two vehicles who were all foreigners. He denied that any Afghans had been killed.

The Afghan Interior Ministry denounced the "heinous" attack, saying it "goes against the values of humanity."

The explosion comes just days after a series of suicide attacks in Kabul left dozens dead and hundreds injured.

The August 7 attacks marked the bloodiest day in Kabul since the withdrawal of most international combat troops at the end of 2014.

Speaking at a press conference on August 10, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani slammed Pakistan over the recent attacks.

"The last few days have shown that suicide training camps and bomb-producing factories which are killing our people are as active as before in Pakistan," he said.

Based on reporting by Reuters, dpa, and AFP
XS
SM
MD
LG