Azerbaijan's Foreign Ministry says it will declare all foreign citizens who travel to the Armenian-controlled Nagorno-Karabakh territory to observe a presidential poll in the breakaway region on July 19 to be personae non gratae.
Speaking to journalists in Baku on July 18, Foreign Ministry spokesman Elman Abdullayev said the staging of elections in the separatist region of Azerbaijan undermines the internationally-mediated negotiating process between Azerbaijan and Armenia aimed at settling the conflict.
Armenia and Azerbaijan have been in conflict for around three decades over Nagorno-Karabakh, with a fragile cease-fire in place since 1994.
Last month, at least nine soldiers from both sides were reported killed in a series of incidents along the Azeri-Armenian border and the Nagorno-Karabakh border.
Based on reporting by Interfax and RFE/RL’s Azerbaijani Service