Accessibility links

Georgia Closes Two Afghan Bases After Deadly Attacks


Georgian Defense Minister Irakli Alasania (center) attends the return of coffins of Georgian soldiers killed in Afghanistan at the airport in Tbilisi last month.

Georgian Defense Minister Irakli Alasania (center) attends the return of coffins of Georgian soldiers killed in Afghanistan at the airport in Tbilisi last month.

Georgia's defense minister says two bases for Georgian troops in Afghanistan have been closed after 10 Georgian soldiers were killed there in recent attacks.

Irakli Alasania announced the closures on June 12, five days after traveling to Afghanistan to meet with Georgian troops in the NATO-led coalition.

Alasania said the number of Georgian troops in Afghanistan, currently 1,545, would not be reduced in the immediate future.

He said he discussed the base closures with NATO commanders as part of plans to boost security measures against militant attacks.

The most recent attack on a Georgian base, on June 6 in Helmand Province, killed seven Georgian soldiers and wounded nine others.

Alasania said the Helmand base was one of the two that was closed.

Based on reporting by AP, Trend.az, and Rustavi-2
XS
SM
MD
LG