ASTANA – The head of Kazakhstan's border guards service, General Nurzhan Myrzaliev, has resigned in the wake of the mass killing of 14 border guards and a forest ranger at a remote outpost along the Kazakh-Chinese border.
In another development, Kazakh television has broadcast a videotape showing the alleged confession of the border guard accused of carrying out the massacre, 19-year-old Private Vladislav Chelakh.
The tape was provided by the Military Prosecutor-General's Office, which is leading the investigation into the May 28 killings.
Chelakh's mother, Svetlana Vashchenko, told RFE/RL that her son told her in private last week that he had not killed anyone.
A coalition of Kazakh nongovernmental organizations has announced the establishment of a public commission to monitor the investigation of the massacre.
With reporting by RIA Novosti and Interfax