PODGORICA -- Police in Montenegro said they have arrested a man suspected of attacking a journalist last week in violence that has drawn international condemnation.
The journalist, OIivera Lakic, said the attack -- and the threats that preceded it -- have forced her to quit journalism.
Lakic, 42, and her family have been under police protection since the March 7 incident, when an attacker repeatedly struck her on the head.
Police said they arrested a 29-year old suspect in Podgorica late on March 12.
She received threats after writing a series of articles in the daily "Vijesti" about the alleged production of counterfeit cigarettes in Montenegro.
About 1,000 Montenegrins have signed a petition asking the European Union -- which Montenegro hopes to join -- to pressure the government to tackle organized crime and protect journalists.
With AFP reports