Pakistan's military has responded to reports that Washington has cut about a third of its military aid to Islamabad.
Pakistani officials said on July 11 that the country's security forces were able to fight without U.S. military assistance. They also said they had not been informed officially of any U.S. decision that reportedly suspends $800 million of aid disbursements.
White House Chief of Staff Bill Daley confirmed that aid to Pakistan had been cut after a report by the "The New York Times" said the $2 billion annual security-aid package that Pakistan receives from Washington would be cut back by about one-third.
"The New York Times" quoted senior U.S. officials as saying the move was Washington's response to the expulsion of U.S. military trainers from Pakistan, as well as an attempt to pressure Pakistan to step up its fight against Islamic militants.
compiled from agency reports