Accessibility links

Prime Minister: Norway Massacre 'Attack On Democracy'

Anders Behring Breivik (left) leaving the courthouse in Oslo on July 25

Anders Behring Breivik (left) leaving the courthouse in Oslo on July 25

Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg has said that the violence that killed 76 people one week ago was "an attack on our democracy."

Stoltenberg spoke at a Labor Party commemoration ceremony on July 29 in the capital as the first victims of last week's twin attacks were being buried.

Anders Behring Breivik, a 32-year-old Norwegian, has admitted carrying out the July 22 bomb attack in downtown Oslo which killed eight and the shootings on Utoeya island near the capital, in which 68 people, mostly young Labor Party activists, were killed.

Breivik was questioned for a second time by police on July 29 and two psychiatrists were appointed to assess his mental health -- and criminal responsibility -- by November.

Prosecutor Paal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby said Breivik's demeanor during the first hours of his interrogation was considered broadly similar to that encountered on July 23.

Investigators say their priority will be to establish whether Breivik acted alone or was part of an extremist network as he claimed.

Prosecutors have said Breivik would not go on trial before 2012 because of the complexity of the case.

Another official, John Frederiksen, said all the bodies found in Oslo and on Utoeya island had been identified and that police were in contact with the families.

Today, the first funeral for one of the victims of the attacks -- an 18-year-old Iraq-born woman -- will be held, and other memorial vigils are also scheduled.

compiled from agency reports