Accessibility links

Report: Military Convoy Hit By Blast In Southeast Turkey


The convoy was reported to have been carrying Turkish troops in the province of Hakkari.

The convoy was reported to have been carrying Turkish troops in the province of Hakkari.

A Turkish military convoy has been reported hit by a blast in southeast Turkey.

Turkey's broadcaster CNN Turk said several people were wounded on August 25 when suspected Kurdish militants detonated explosives next to the convoy carrying troops in the province of Hakkari.

The report could not be immediately confirmed. Separatist Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) guerrillas have stepped up their attacks on the Turkish military, killing more than 40 security personnel in the past month.

In retaliation for those attacks, the Turkish military launched a series of air raids on PKK targets in northern Iraq last week.

The military said it killed up to 100 Kurdish rebels in six days of air strikes. More than 40,000 people have been killed since the PKK took up arms against the state in 1984.

compiled from agency reports

Show comments

XS
SM
MD
LG