Accessibility links

Second Kazakh Car Blast Victim Identified


The entrance to the National Security Committee facility in Astana where a bombs exploded last week.

The entrance to the National Security Committee facility in Astana where a bombs exploded last week.

ASTANA -- Kazakh authorities say they have identified the second victim of a suspicious explosion near the National Security Committee (UKK) jail in Astana last week, RFE/RL's Kazakh Service reports.

Interior Ministry spokeswoman Qalamqas Temirova told journalists in Astana that the man was a 34-year-old resident of the northern city of Pavlodar.

She said his name cannot be made public while an investigation into the incident is under way.

Temirova added that the man had a criminal record and had served four prison terms, most recently for armed robbery.

Authorities last week identified the other man killed in the blast as Dmitry Kelpler, from the northern town of Ekibastuz.

Early in the morning of May 24, a car exploded next to the UKK prison in Astana. Kelpler and the other man in the car were killed in the blast.

The Kazakh authorities said the explosion -- which officials said was caused by an unidentified explosive material that was not encased in a shell -- was not a terrorist act and had nothing to do with a suicide bombing at UKK headquarters in the northwestern city of Aqtobe the previous week.

Authorities identified the bomber in the May 17 attack as Kazakh Rakhimzhan Makhatov.

Read more in Kazakh here: http://www.azattyq.org/content/news/24211442.html
XS
SM
MD
LG