BISHKEK -- Another Kyrgyz politician faulted over last year's deadly ethnic clashes in the south of the country has apologized for being unable to prevent the violence, RFE/RL's Kyrgyz Service reports.
Azimbek Beknazarov, the Kyrgyz presidential envoy to parliament, was a member of Kyrgyzstan's interim government when clashes broke out between ethnic Uzbeks and Kyrgyz in June 2010.
Beknazarov said on June 3 that all 14 members of the then-interim government are "morally responsible" for what happened from June 10-15, 2010 in the southern Kyrgyz regions of Osh and Jalal-Abad and he apologized to the country on their behalf.
Beknazarov made the statement during a second day of discussion on the findings of the state commission that investigated the ethnic clashes.
That commission's report, issued in January, said several senior officials in the provisional government, including Beknazarov, had failed to act promptly as the conflict evolved.
Beknazarov's statement comes one day after another politician named in the report -- former Interior Minister Bolot Sher -- made a similar apology.
Sher also said in parliament on June 2 that he is giving up his parliamentary mandate and relinquishing his military rank of lieutenant general. He added that he will quit the Ata-Meken (Fatherland) party.
More than 400 people were killed and thousands injured and/or displaced during last year's clashes.
Read more in Kyrgyz here