Spain's interior minister, Jorge Fernandez Diaz, says the driver of a train that derailed at high speed, killing 78 people, faces possible charges of "reckless homicide."
On July 27, the driver, 52-year-old Francisco Joe Garzon Amo, left the hospital where he had been treated for head injuries sustained in the July 24 crash.
But he remains in police custody and is expected to appear before a judge on July 28.
Police have already said that Garzon was suspected of "recklessness" for driving the train at high speed around a dangerous curve near the town of Santiago de Compostela in Spain's Galicia region.
The crash was Spain's worst train accident in about 70 years.
Several bodies are still unidentified and dozens of injured remain in hospital in serious condition.
Based on reporting by Reuters and AFP