Charges have been officially dismissed against former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn now that a New York appeals court has denied a request for a special prosecutor in the sex assault case.
The appeals court agreed with another court's ruling that there was no legal basis for a special prosecutor.
Earlier, State Supreme Court Justice Michael Obus said he would dismiss the charges, pending the ruling from the appeals court.
The denial of the appeal means Strauss-Kahn is free, though he still faces a civil suit filed by the alleged victim, Nafissatou Diallo.
The case against Strauss-Kahn fell apart after questions were raised about Diallo's credibility.
Earlier, Diallo's lawyer Kenneth Thompson accused Manhattan's District Attorney Cyrus Vance of denying his client the right "to get justice in a rape case."
"He has not only turned his back on this innocent victim, but he has also turned his back on the forensic, the medical, and other physical evidence in this case," Thompson said to reporters outside the offices of the Manhattan prosecutor.
Questions had been raised about the alleged victim, an immigrant from Guinea, including lying on her immigration application form to the United States.
Prosecutors felt questions about her credibility would hurt their chances of prosecuting the case.
Strauss-Kahn, 62, is due in court later on August 23 when it is expected the judge will officially dismiss the case.
Diallo accused Strauss-Kahn of trying to rape her in May in an upscale New York hotel where she works as a maid.
Strauss-Kahn was detained by police as he sat on an airplane about to take off for France.
A few days later, he resigned as head of the International Monetary Fund.
He was then held in a notorious New York prison before being put under house arrest.
Even if the case is dropped, Strauss-Kahn is not out of trouble yet. He still faces a civil lawsuit in the United States filed by Diallo.
And back in France, a writer has accused Strauss-Kahn of trying to rape her in 2003.
compiled from agency reports