Accessibility links

Suspect In Benghazi U.S. Consulate Attack Freed


An armchair and furniture float in the swimming pool of the U.S. consulate in Benghazi following an attack on the building late on September 11, 2011, which resulted in the deaths of the U.S. ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens, and three other US nationals.

An armchair and furniture float in the swimming pool of the U.S. consulate in Benghazi following an attack on the building late on September 11, 2011, which resulted in the deaths of the U.S. ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens, and three other US nationals.

The only suspect detained in connection with last year's deadly attack on the U.S. consulate in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi has been released.

Ali Harzi's lawyer says a Tunis court released his client for lack of evidence.

The Tunisian suspect was detained in Turkey following the September 11 attack that left U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans dead.

He was extradited to Tunisia where he was charged with belonging to a "terrorist group abroad."

Authorities said he was "strongly suspected" of involvement in the Benghazi attack.

Last month, he was interrogated by FBI officials in the presence of a Tunisian judge.

His lawyer says Harzi was released on condition that he not leave the Tunisian capital because he is still charged with belonging to a terrorist group.

Based on reporting by AP and AFP
XS
SM
MD
LG