A senior U.S. official says Qatar has agreed to temporarily extend travel bans on five senior Taliban leaders released last year from the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in exchange for captured Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl.
The official was quoted by Western news agencies as saying on May 31 that the ban would remain in place until diplomatic talks for a longer-term solution are completed.
The restrictions had been due to expire on June 1 under a May 2014 exchange for Bergdahl.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to publicly speak on the matter, said the former detainees are all currently in Qatar and remain subject to the travel ban and extensive monitoring.
U.S. officials said on May 30 that the Obama administration was closing in on an agreement with Qatar to extend the restrictions for six months.
On May 31, CIA Director John Brennan said the United States was in talks with Qatar on the status of the five Taliban figures.
Bergdahl, who was captured and held by the militant movement for five years, was charged with desertion in March and could face a life sentence.
Based on reporting by AP and CNN