Accessibility links

Four Guards Reported Killed In North Afghanistan Attack

Police have said that three suicide bombers attacked a guesthouse frequented by foreigners in the northern Afghan city of Konduz on August 2, killing four Afghan security guards.

A Konduz police official, Abdul Rahman, said one attacker detonated a car bomb at the gates of the guesthouse while the other two stormed the building where they fought Afghan forces for a couple of hours before detonating their explosives.

Ten people, including civilians and an Afghan police officer were wounded in the explosions and fighting.

It was not immediately clear whether there were any foreigners among the injured. Police said that German aid workers often stayed in the guesthouse.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.

The incident is the latest in what appears to be a rising number of violent attacks in northern Afghanistan, which has previously been seen as more secure than the south and east of the country.

compiled from agency reports