Accessibility links

Turkey Discharges Another 820 From Armed Forces After Failed Coup


Turkey's Defense Ministry says it has discharged another 820 people from the country’s land and naval forces as a purge of its military continues in the aftermath of the failed July 15 coup.

Before the discharges that were announced on September 1, Ankara had already purged thousands of personnel from its armed forces in response to the failed coup.

Those targeted within the military of the NATO-member country have ranged from senior generals to rank-and-file soldiers.

Including the civil sector in Turkey, the government has removed about 80,000 people from public duties for what it says are suspected links to the coup plotters.

The European Union and the United States have expressed concerns that the mass arrests and crackdown on political dissent have targeted individuals simply because they are political opponents of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Based on reporting by Reuters and AP
XS
SM
MD
LG