BISHKEK -- Twelve victims killed in deadly ethnic clashes between ethnic Uzbeks and Kyrgyz in southern Kyrgyzstan last year have been identified in Moscow, RFE/RL's Kyrgyz Service reports.
Kyrgyz Deputy Health Minister Kasymbek Mambetov told journalists in Bishkek on March 2 that the victims were recently identified through DNA testing.
Kyrgyz officials said 427 men and women were killed in the violence in the Osh and Jalal-Abad regions in mid-June, of which some 33 victims have not yet been identified.
Mambetov said that Kyrgyzstan does not have DNA-test facilities and money given by Russia to assist Kyrgyz officials in identifying the victims of the ethnic clashes has been spent.
He said Kyrgyzstan will now work with officials in Turkey, Japan, China, and South Korea for help in identifying the 33 bodies.
Officials say at least 105 Kyrgyz and 276 Uzbeks were among the dead. The exact number of victims is unknown as there are still tens of people missing.Read more in Kyrgyz here