Accessibility links

Suspected U.S. Drone Kills Eight In Yemen

A suspected U.S. drone strike has reportedly killed at least two people in eastern Yemen believed to be Al-Qaeda militants.

It was the second such strike in a day and the seventh in less than two weeks.

Local officials said the attack on August 8 in Hadramawt Province targeted a car carrying the suspected militants.

Earlier on August 8, officials and witnesses said another suspected U.S. drone strike killed six alleged militants in central Marib Province.

Witnesses and local officials said the drone fired at two vehicles at dawn.

The strikes came days after the United States closed its diplomatic missions across the Middle East and Africa following warnings of a possible terrorist attack.

It followed reports of intercepted messages from Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri ordering its Yemeni branch to carry out an attack.

The U.S. and British embassies also evacuated all nonessential staff from Yemen.

On August 7, Yemeni authorities said they had foiled an Al-Qaeda plot to seize key ports and pipelines in the country.

Based on reporting by AP and Reuters