Afghan children who survived a killing spree earlier this year in Kandahar Province testified overnight by satellite in a U.S. military trial against the soldier accused in the rampage.
U.S. military prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for U.S. Army Sergeant Robert Bales -- accusing him of killing 16 Afghan villagers, most of them women and children, on March 11 in Kandahar's Panjwayi district.
Bales sat quietly through the second day of satellite testimony, betraying no reaction as three Afghan children described watching a man in a U.S. military uniform storm into their homes -- killing their parents and siblings.
One victim's wife, who has not testified, reportedly told an investigator more than one soldier was involved.
But every surviving witness who has testified says they saw only one soldier.
Meanwhile, in Afghanistan, police say at least nine civilians were killed early on November 11 by two separate Taliban roadside bombs.
A mother and her newborn baby were among six family members killed by a bomb overnight in the Sabari district of Khost Province near the border with Pakistan.
Police say the family was returning home from a hospital where the mother had just given birth.
The Taliban also is blamed for planting a bomb in the Maiwand district of Kandahar Province that struck a minivan -- killing three people and injuring two others who had been traveling from Helmand Province.
Based on reporting by AFP and dpa