Saturday, December 20, 2014


Moldova

Moldovan Premier Calls For Official's Resignation After Hunting Death

Prosecutor-General Valeriu Zubco in a September 2012 photoProsecutor-General Valeriu Zubco in a September 2012 photo
x
Prosecutor-General Valeriu Zubco in a September 2012 photo
Prosecutor-General Valeriu Zubco in a September 2012 photo
By RFE/RL's Moldovan Service
CHISINAU -- Moldova's prime minister has called for the resignation of the country's top prosecutor following his flight from the country after the death of a man in a hunting incident.

Prosecutor-General Valeriu Zubco left Moldova after the December 23 tragedy.

Zubco on January 7 was accused by a small anticorruption party of being the main suspect in the shooting death of a businessman during a hunting trip last month.

The Prosecutor-General's Office has said appeals court Judge Gheorghe Cretu, who was also on the hunting trip, is the main suspect in the case.

Prime Minister Vlad Filat subsequently told RFE/RL that Zubco should step down immediately to deflect suspicions that he might influence the investigation.

Zubco issued a written statement on January 8 saying the accusations were false and meant to discredit him.

Most Popular