Pakistan’s army says it launched air strikes on July 8 that killed 13 suspected militants in the tribal region of North Waziristan near the Afghan border.
Meanwhile, the number of civilians displaced by the offensive, which was announced by Pakistani authorities on June 15, reportedly is approaching one million.
An army statement said the July 8 air strikes targeted seven suspected hideouts used by militants in North Waziristan.
But military officials say Pakistani ground troops fighting to retake control of the key town of Miranshah – considered the headquarters of Islamist militants linked with Al-Qaeda -- continue to face stiff resistance.
The latest air strikes came a day after Defense Minister Khawaja Asif said that more than 400 militants have been killed so far in the government offensive.
Asif said 20 government soldiers have been killed in the campaign.
Based on reporting by Reuters, AP, and AFP