Moscow's Gorky Park
Published 13 September 2012
Ever since it was opened in 1928, Gorky Park has been a central part of Moscow life. Although it became somewhat decrepit in the years after the collapse of communism, it has enjoyed a facelift since being taken over by new management in March 2011.
An aerial view of Gorky Park in 1979. For decades, the 300-acre park has provided Muscovites with a swath of tranquil greenery in the heart of the Russian capital.
The park was a major center of "leisure and culture" during the Soviet era.
Muscovites attend an exhibition of military equipment seized during World War II in 1946.
A special reading area in the park in 1955
Gorky Park was also home to many carnival rides for the amusement of socialist workers.
These rides remained for decades after the fall of communism.
Although the park and its attractions remained popular with Muscovites, they were starting to suffer from neglect by the turn of this century.
A number of cheap stalls and cafes were also blamed for lowering the tone of the park.
The park's reputation was not helped by the fact that it became the focal point of celebrations for ex-servicemen celebrating various military anniversaries.
Since it came under new management last year, however, the park has enjoyed something of a resurgence and has become popular with many of the city's affluent young hipsters.
It is also being used as a venue for various creative performances and innovative art installations, such as this mural made completely out of coffee beans.
A dance performance in Gorky Park earlier this year