Accessibility links

Breaking News

Watchdog

RFE/RL's Kyrgyz Service has been off the air in the country since October 8.
The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) urged Kyrgyzstan today to restore suspended broadcasts by U.S.-funded Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty and the BBC.

"Both RFE/RL and BBC are reputable public-service sources of information for Kyrgyz society," the OSCE's media freedom representative, Miklos Haraszti, said in a statement. "Their suspension would be a loss to pluralism, which is a major OSCE commitment in the media field."

The 56-member OSCE is the world's largest regional security organization, known also for its role in election monitoring.

The Kyrgyz state-owned television and radio company KNTR said earlier this month it had switched off the BBC's local radio service because it failed to install required radio equipment. KNTR also said Prague-based RFE/RL owed it $57,000 in service fees.

In a statement, RFE/RL President Jeffrey Gedmin said, "The suspension, which began on October 8, was initially portrayed as a payment dispute, but we have since traced the payments and confirmed deposit and receipt. Nine weeks have passed. Our programs remain off the air. Kyrgyz officials have refused to meet with us to resolve the situation. Frankly, we expected more from a country trying to prove its reformist credentials in the region."

KNTR head Melis Eshimkanov told Reuters today that BBC broadcasts had been restored this week after it agreed to provide KNTR with some equipment. But Harazsti said the BBC still had no long-term contract in place to secure future operations.

"I urge the authorities to renew the contracts of both RFE/RL and BBC, so that they can resume full operation in the nearest future," he said.

Eshimkanov said KNTR would hold talks with RFE/RL management within a few days.

(by Reuters)
The Tajik Foreign Ministry has delivered a protest note to a Russian diplomat over the recent beheading of a Tajik citizen in the Moscow region.

Tajik Foreign Ministry spokesman Davlat Nazri told RFE/RL's Tajik Service that the protest letter was handed on Thursday to Vyacheslav Svetlichny, the charge d'affairs at the Russian Embassy in Dushanbe.

Nazri said Tajikistan is demanding that Russia find and punish those who executed Aziz Salohiddinov, 20, on December 5.

Salohiddinov's head was found near the village of Zhabkino, outside of Moscow, on December 6. The so-called Military Organization of Russian Nationalists claimed responsibility for the beheading.

The Tajik letter to Russia says that more than 600 Tajiks have died in Russia this year and 84 of them were killed in hate crimes.

Russia is home to about 1 million Tajik migrant workers.

Load more

About This Blog

"Watchdog" is a blog with a singular mission -- to monitor the latest developments concerning human rights, civil society, and press freedom. We'll pay particular attention to reports concerning countries in RFE/RL's broadcast region.

Subscribe

Journalists In Trouble

RFE/RL journalists take risks, face threats, and make sacrifices every day in an effort to gather the news. Our "Journalists In Trouble" page recognizes their courage and conviction, and documents the high price that many have paid simply for doing their jobs. More

XS
SM
MD
LG