Accessibility links

Breaking News

Watchdog

Eduard Bagirov
CHISINAU -- Russian diplomats have expressed concern over the fate of a Russian blogger detained in Chisinau on suspicion of inciting riots more than two years ago, RFE/RL's Moldovan Service reports.
Eduard Bagirov was detained in Chisinau on June 16, but Moldovan authorities did not confirm his arrest until June 27, when they said a court had denied his request to be released while an investigation is carried out.
The statement added that Bagirov is being questioned over his role in the April 2009 street violence following a contested election won by the Communist Party that left one dead and dozens injured.
In a letter to the Moldovan government that was released, the Russian Embassy quoted a media interview with Bagirov's lawyer, Adrian Matkovschi, who says his client is being held in poor conditions and denied the right to receive visits, talk to his lawyer, or see a doctor.
The lawyer also said that Bagirov is under constant "pressure and threats" from Moldovan authorities.
There have been conflicting reports in the Russian and Moldovan press about Bagirov's detention.
The Russian Embassy said last week its personnel had visited Bagirov, and he did not complain about the conditions in which he is being held.
The Moldovan Prosecutor-General's Office has not made public any details of Bagirov's alleged crimes two years ago.
It has not been officially clarified who is responsible for the postelection violence in 2009.
The current pro-Western government and the Communist opposition, which was in office in 2009, have each accused the other of "orchestrating" the riots, but neither side has produced evidence to support their positions.
Mark Tkachuk, a leading member of the Communist Party, said last week that Bagirov is being pressured by the government to confess that in 2009 he was asked by the Communists to organize violent protests.
Tkachuk did not divulge the source of this claim.
KOKSHETAU -- Seven Kazakh prison guards have been found guilty of torturing 26 prisoners last year at a penitentiary in northern Kazakhstan, RFE/RL's Kazakh Service reports.
In a verdict announced in a court in Kokshetau on June 29, Seilkhan Turmagambetov and Zhaslan Negmetzhanov of the Committee to Control the Penitentiary System (KUIS) in the Aqmola region were each sentenced to five years in prison.
Sentences were also given to KUIS officers Kuanyshbek Shayakhmetov (four
years), Meirbolat Nurgaliev (3 1/2 years), Zhanbolat Kayredenov (three years, and seven months), Askhat Sultanov (three years, eight months), and Kayrat Kaliev (three years, nine months).
Lawyer Ardak Zhanabilova represented one of the victims of the torture.
Zhanabilova -- who is the chairman of the Public Oversight Commission of the Almaty region and a member of the Coaltion Against Torture -- told RFE/RL she is satisfied with the sentences.
She said the KUIS officers were found guilty of torture, abuse of power, and corruption. She added that it will be difficult for them to be released early on parole because of the corruption conviction.
Dariga Asanova, the lawyer for Negmetzhanov, told RFE/RL that her client's guilt was not proven in court and that the witnesses were pressured by the prosecutor's office to make their statements.
She said she will file an appeal against the verdict.
The brother of one of the victims, who gave his name as Arman but did not want to give his family name, told RFE/RL he considered the verdict to be fair.

But he said he fears his brother, who still has to serve 10 months in prison, will receive more ill treatment from other guards as a result of this case.
Arman added that he is afraid the additional charge of "threat of violence against a prison officer, his relatives, or a convict" will be added to his brother's sentence to punish him for winning this case.
On June 21, 2010 a KUIS commission headed by Turmugambetov and Negmetzhanov visited the jail in the village of Stepnoy in the Aqmola region.
The prisoners said that during the visit the commission members tortured and beat them with a conveyor belt and batons for several days.
On July 3, 2010, 14 prisoners self-inflicted deep cuts into their abdomens, arms, and necks saying they could no longer withstand the torture.
Four days later the prosecutor's office in the Aqmola region opened a criminal case against the KUIS officers. During the trial the victims claimed they had been put under pressure by the prosecuted officers.

Load more

About This Blog

"Watchdog" is a blog with a singular mission -- to monitor the latest developments concerning human rights, civil society, and press freedom. We'll pay particular attention to reports concerning countries in RFE/RL's broadcast region.

Subscribe

Journalists In Trouble

RFE/RL journalists take risks, face threats, and make sacrifices every day in an effort to gather the news. Our "Journalists In Trouble" page recognizes their courage and conviction, and documents the high price that many have paid simply for doing their jobs. More

XS
SM
MD
LG