Accessibility links

Breaking News

Watchdog

"Narodnaya volya" deputy editor in chief Maryna Koktysh (file photo)
MINSK -- The deputy editor of an independent Belarusian newspaper has vowed to keep it going, despite moves by the authorities to shut it down, RFE/RL's Belarus Service reports.

On April 27, the Information Ministry filed lawsuits with the country's Supreme Economic Court aimed at shutting independent newspapers "Nasha niva" and "Narodnaya volya" (People's Will).

Maryna Koktysh, "Narodnaya volya" deputy editor in chief, told RFE/RL today that the editors would do everything to save the newspaper.

Koktysh said scores of people called the newspaper's head office on April 27 asking what they can do to help the newspaper survive. Among the proposals were organizing a picket in front of the information minister's apartment and calling nonstop to the Information Ministry's hotline.

Koktysh said it was possible to issue the newspaper from abroad, or to print it in underground conditions. "'Narodnaya Volya' will be operating as long as we are alive," she said.

The move to shut the two publications drew criticism today from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe's representative on freedom of the media.

Dunja Mijatovic expressed alarm over the lawsuits, saying that "this move by the Belarusian government to silence a few remaining critical voices will further diminish media pluralism in the country."

Three Official Warnings

The move by the Information Ministry came after the newspapers received three official warnings in recent months over their "wrong coverage of events" in the country.

Belarusian law allows the Supreme Economic Court to shut a media outlet after it receives three warnings from the Information Ministry.

Andrey Skurko, chief editor of "Nasha niva," told RFE/RL that his newspaper got two warnings from the ministry for the paper's coverage of a documentary ("The Godfather") critical of Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka that was aired on Russian television last year.

The third warning was about the paper's coverage of the April 11 Minsk subway bombing.

Skurko said it was strange that the recommendation to shut his paper was made just days after the third warning.

"We have a right to challenge that warning but the authorities are in a hurry to shut us down," he said, describing the move as politically motivated.

Read more in Belarusian
here and here
OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media Dunja Mijatovic (file photo)
The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe's (OSCE) representative on freedom of the media, Dunja Mijatovic, has expressed alarm over lawsuits filed by the Belarusian Information Ministry aimed at shutting down two of the country's largest independent newspapers.

The lawsuits filed by the ministry against the "Nasha niva" and "Narodnaya volya" newspapers followed several warnings about their reporting on the March 11 Minsk subway blast and the December 19 presidential election.

The OSCE's Mijatovic, in a statement today, said that "this move by the Belarusian government to silence a few remaining critical voices will further diminish media pluralism in the country."

Load more

About This Blog

"Watchdog" is a blog with a singular mission -- to monitor the latest developments concerning human rights, civil society, and press freedom. We'll pay particular attention to reports concerning countries in RFE/RL's broadcast region.

Subscribe

Journalists In Trouble

RFE/RL journalists take risks, face threats, and make sacrifices every day in an effort to gather the news. Our "Journalists In Trouble" page recognizes their courage and conviction, and documents the high price that many have paid simply for doing their jobs. More

XS
SM
MD
LG