Don’t miss a unique career opportunity working with an exceptional multimedia news organization with broadcast headquarters in Prague, Czech Republic and media professionals from over twenty countries. RFE/RL is seeking a highly-qualified Broadcast Service Director, who takes full line management responsibility for the operations of its Afghan Service –Radio Azadi. The Broadcast Service Director under the supervision of the Regional Director, sets Service strategy and goals in support of RFE/RL's mission. Is fully responsible for program development and performance management; and has ultimate editorial responsibility for program content and organization. Proficient Dari/Pashto and English language knowledge is a must.
Main responsibilites of position
- Program and content:
- Responsibility for programming and production, evaluation of quality of programs and editorial decisions of the assigned Service - Radio Azadi; freelancers and other services interface and coordination.
- Ultimate responsibility for editorial content and production standards
- Planning of the daily and weekly program.
- Following progress of programs until broadcast.
- Ensuring 100% on air, on time broadcast as per schedule.
- Contributing to broadcast output as required.
- Keeping up with the news and speaking knowledgeably about current events as they relate to own broadcast region and specific target country.
- Managing staff including freelancers (making assignments, coaching, motivating, managing performance, training) supervision of staff including freelancers.
- Addressing personnel issues (hiring decisions, merit increases, promotions, reassignments, disciplinary problems) with appropriate involvement of the HR Division and the Regional Director.
- Regularly listening to and evaluating broadcasts; provides feedback to staff on content and performance.
- Delegating and overseeing tasks related to stringers, timesheets, vouchers for expenses, and so on.
- Responsibility for budget compliance of the assigned Service.
- Education in journalism, international relations or related field MA - Master degree preferred /min. Bachelor/
- Minimum of 10 years' journalism experience and 6 years of management experience are required.
- Broad, thorough and detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social conditions and issues in Afghanistan as well as international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure.
- Expertise in news journalism and demonstrated ability to manage ongoing news stories.
- Organization & planning skills at a managerial level, including strategic planning.
- People management skills including mentoring & coaching.
- Team management, leadership skills
- Strong ability to establish contacts, work with and further develop media affiliates network in international environment and fostering key relationships.
- Previous experience working in a multicultural or a multinational environment; or experience living and working abroad, preferably in relevant RFE/RL target regions
- Relevant software knowledge and end-user knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Proficient in Dari/Pashto and English languages
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.