Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty is looking for an experienced and skillful Journalist. In this position you will initiate, prepare, produce, and deliver wide variety of journalistic material on multiple platforms (Radio, TV, online, social media, printed…). RFE/RL journalistic jobs are versatile and cover wide range of tasks and activities. You may need to acquire knowledge of and focus on different areas for your assignments or projects while in the same job and while being flexible in terms of time and location. Versatility and ability to flexibly respond to challenges of the fast changing world while maintaining the integrity and recognized quality of RFE/RL journalism are key to success for both RFE/RL and its employees. Knowledge of Pashto and English required.
Main responsibilities of position:
• Creates original content on a wide variety of topics and issues, from bulletins and dispatches to features and analyses for relevant platforms. If editor of a program, prepares running order. Adapts content as necessary. Translates according to the language proficiency.
• Works as field correspondent and reporter on assignment, determining focus of reports.
• Conducts interviews in the studio, by telephone, or in the field.
• Moderates, delivers live, blogs, records, contributes, inputs online, shots photos and video as required, coordinates other staff, sound and camera crews as necessary.
• Produces live, recorded, online, printed, etc. content, as appropriate, using the available techniques, operates relevant technologies, tools and computer equipment, and/or directs specialists or other involved staff if assigned.
• Maintains up–to–date familiarity with political, economic, and social developments in and related to the target area. Briefs himself/herself on latest news and issues prior to starting work day.
• Researches material and selects reliable information from a varied range of reputable sources.
• Adheres to RFE/RL editorial standards at all times and takes editorial responsibility for all own material.
• Is expected to regularly suggest viable coverage ideas and to contribute to program planning.
• May act as an editor responsible for an output segment, e.g. radio or TV program or program stream, website, blog, newspaper, etc., as appropriate for the given platform and as applicable. Commissions, selects, and edits the relevant material.
• May be required to assume responsibility for program/organization unit budget.
• Expected to explore innovative angles for coverage, ensuring relevance for the audience.
• Takes part, as required, in programs by local media and develops contacts for both journalistic work and RFE/RL reputation.
- Journalism or related field BC - Bachelor degree
- Experience as a journalist. 5-8 years
- Good familiarity with political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as with regional and international affairs.
- Possesses comprehensive content creation skills and requires minimal editing and editorial supervision. Has developed a network of original sources and cultivated one or more specific beats, in addition to being capable of all-round reporting and writing.
- Sound editorial judgment. Ability to edit work of others and to take responsibility for an output segment.
- Proven abilities in multiple platforms and media, good knowledge of other media and platforms.
- Willingness and ability to learn and to work with audio and video equipment, word processing tools, information research tools and new technologies and media platforms as well as to acquire or enhance the knowledge of journalistic practices relevant to the assignment.
- Able to effectively use all RFE/RL content management system options - capable of posting and editing text and photos, making photo galleries, posting videos, program scheduling, and of basic Internet TV operation.
- Has an understanding or RFE/RL mission and broadcast area targets.
- Reliably translates current affairs texts from English into native language.
- Seeks opportunities for professional development both in terms of challenging assignments and in training.
- Contributes to maintaining a positive working environment. Proactively provides support within and outside own team.
- Pashto language - native level (Mandatory)
- English language - working knowledge (Mandatory)
- Dari language - fluent (Advantage)
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check.
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.