Radio Azadi announces selection process for Bureau Chief of its Kabul Bureau. The Bureau Chief under the supervision of Prague Afghan Service Director leads the Kabul Bureau operations. He is responsible for all content from Kabul bureau staff and other contributors in Afghanistan. He is also managing and leading all Kabul bureau staff.
Main responsibilities of position
- Provides editorial guidance for and supervises the Service’s online input from the bureau.
- Leads the daily editorial meetings.
- Coordinates planning with Prague, striving for efficiency in the use of journalistic resources and capacity.
- Participates as required as an RFE/RL journalist and chief editor in suitable local broadcast programs and in the press.
- Coordinates with the Bureau Admin and Chief Technician to ensure efficient operations of Kabul Bureau.
- Schedules all staff and sets deadlines as needed to ensure continuation of all Kabul Bureau journalistic activities.
- Represents RFE/RL in the political and media environment.
- Develops the team: recruits and motivates staff.
- Leads the team in making use of suitable new production and delivery methods in line with developing technologies.
- University degree in journalism or related field or equivalent training and experience in journalism.
- Minimum of six years' journalism experience and six years of management experience are required.
- Expertise in news journalism and ability to manage ongoing news stories.
- Excellent writing skills in the language of native fluency.
- Thorough knowledge of the news needs in Afghanistan.
- Broad, thorough and detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in Afghanistan.
- Considerable knowledge of radio broadcasting practices and techniques. Good knowledge of digital platforms and video reporting.
- Strong commitment to journalist integrity and objectivity.
- Ability to deal with conflict, and to work with and through others in a collaborative fashion.
- Ability to manage a team, and to motivate others towards the achievement of common goals.
- Broadcast region language at native level is required /Dari and/or Pashto/.
- Fluent English language knowledge is required.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.