RFE/RL's Kazakh service is looking for an experienced administrator who will take care of our bureaus operation in Almaty and Nur-Sultan.
The Bureau Administrator reports to the Manager, Regional Finance and Operations (RFO) as well as maintains a dotted line to the Bureau Chief. This position is responsible for the administrative and office management of the bureau and its personnel. As such the incumbent ensures the best possible administrative and operational support to the Bureau Chief, Service Director, and the bureau journalistic staff in their efforts to carry out their broadcast mission. The Bureau Administrator is responsible for providing an efficiently-run office environment, for ensuring compliance with local legislation and RFE/RL policies and procedures, and for reporting and responding to all the relevant departments, such as RFO, Office Services, HR, Marketing, Technology, and others, in a timely and adequate manner.
- Supports the Bureau Chief and Service Director on issues relating to Finance/payroll, HR related concerns, legal issues relating to RFE/RL, Technology, Security and others as needed.
- Arranges business travel for personnel working out of the bureau.
- Chooses the most cost-effective solutions in all areas of bureau operation.
- Works on various security and safety issues in co-operation with Corporate Security.
- Coordinates with the Mailroom, as needed, to arrange for mailing and shipping.
- As directed by Technology Division in Prague and in liaison with Bureau IT Manager/Manager, Field/Bureau Engineer/Bureau Chief/Service Director and RFO, assists with arranging for various bureau office maintenance, and related purchases and refurbishments.
- Maintains operational liaison with other RFE/RL personnel (RFO, Human Resources, Security, etc.).
- Supervises the work of all administrative bureau staff, if applicable, and coordinates it with Manager, RFO.
- Accountable for the cash management function of the bureau and for maintaining bank account(s). Ensures timely payments for vendor payables, payroll, payroll taxes (including employees’ withholdings and payments for social security, pension and healthcare) and any other payments required of the bureau and its employees by law in accordance with the calculation provided by the appointed accountant(s).
- Maintains all financial records including collection and storage of all receipts and payment orders and the calculation records from the appointed accountant(s), who are authorized to manage all aspects of bureau finances, including accounting and payroll. Also ensures accurate, timely reporting of bureau accounts and all financial transactions to the appropriate local government and/or other legislative authorities, as well as to the relevant departments of RFE/RL.
- Works directly with the Bureau Accounting staff in Prague as instructed by the Manager, RFO, to provide for clear, accurate and timely financial information, as well as ensuring that the bureau has adequate funding to maintain its operations.
- Ensures appropriate level of inventory of office supplies is available, monitors and controls their use.
- Arranges for the local purchases and liaises with vendors.
- As instructed by Office Services in Prague and in RFO’s knowledge, maintains the inventory of company property, as well as recording and processing the disposal of used or replaced property.
- Maintains strict confidentiality over HR and Finance issues of bureau office operations and its staff, particularly about the salaries and payments.
- Assists in recruitment and performs various HR activities, such as new hire orientation, contract administration, and other employment support processes, as administered and supervised by the Service Director, RFO, and HR in Prague.
- Maintains employee time and attendance in PeopleSoft and other personnel records, as directed.
- Supports the training of bureau staff in all areas, incl. journalism, English language, technical training, LibertyNET, etc.
- Stays abreast of relevant local legislation (finance, labor, and other bureau related), works closely with RFO and Legal Dept., and informs the Bureau Chief, Service Director, and other relevant departments of RFE/RL about pending changes in a timely manner.
- As directed by RFE/RL’s management, RFO and Legal Dept., liaises with local authorities, legal consultants, and other professional bodies to ensure compliance with the statutory requirements of the law.
- As instructed by the Manager, RFO, negotiates leases and liaises with the landlord(s) and coordinates closely with RFO and Legal Dept. in regards to contracts and services.
- Negotiates local service contracts and coordinates closely with RFO, as instructed by the Manager, RFO.
- Participates in the development of RFE/RL Bureau policies and procedures, and implements them in the bureau.
- Ensures that bureau documents conform to internal guidelines and other relevant provisions.
OTHER BUREAU SUPPORT
- Is familiar with RFE/RL’s language service operation in Prague, and is capable to respond to enquiries about it.
- In day-to-day contact with the public, represents the bureau and the service in a helpful, polite manner, enhancing its reputation.
- Actively contributes to a positive, supportive working environment.
- Fosters open communication between the broadcasting and the administrative sides of the bureau’s operation.
- In cases of operational necessity, assumes other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education.
- Experience in office management/business administration,
- Experience in accounting/payroll,
- Understands and meets customers’ (internal/external) needs in a helpful way,
- Working knowledge of English language, Intermediate level at minimum,
- Knowledge of the bureau country legislation,
- End-user knowledge of MS Office Suite,
- Ability to learn new systems and applications,
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and prioritize multiple tasks,
- Dependability, accuracy, attention to detail & ability to work under pressure,
- Interpersonal and communication skills, incl. discretion,
- Ability to work in a team.
- Working knowledge of English language
- Broadcast region language - Kazakh and Russian - native level
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants.
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.