RFE/RL is looking for a senior correspondent to cover the news from its Washington, DC, bureau. The successful candidate will write and edit the evening portion (roughly 5 p.m.-1 a.m. EST) of the news file produced 24/7 by RFE/RL's English-language Central Newsroom. The file provides news items on a wide variety of regional and international developments for use on RFE/RL’s English-language platforms and in news programs and websites in 25 other languages. Our ideal candidate is a journalist with a solid background in news who is used to working quickly and accurately under tight deadlines and dealing with a wide variety of source material, including Russian-language content. He/she will have at least five years' experience in journalism, including substantial experience at a wire agency or comparable outlet. The successful candidate will report to the director of RFE/RL's Central Newsroom in Prague.
- Take over responsibility for the news file from the evening editor in Prague. Without direct supervision, write news items based on material including original RFE/RL reporting, agency copy, live broadcasts, and social media.
- Make sure the file is comprehensive, up-to-date, and by the end of the shift looking forward to the upcoming day. It will contain engaging news items about RFE/RL's broadcast region, a vastly diverse area spanning from Eastern Europe to Pakistan's tribal regions, as well as the top international and U.S. news.
- Work closely with RFE/RL's language services, incorporating RFE/RL original reporting wherever possible in the news file.
- Post content to RFE/RL's English-language website and edit news items written by other Central Newsroom correspondents.
- Education: Journalism or related field
- Minimum five years’ journalism experience, including at a wire agency or comparable outlet.
- Knowledge of at least one country or region in RFE/RL’s coverage area
- Ability to work under pressure while juggling tight deadlines
- Ability to carry out independent reporting from the field involving travel
- Ability to deliver quality, accurate products with minimal supervision
- English language (native), mandatory
- Russian language (advanced), mandatory
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Appointment against this post is on a D.C. basis only. Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of Washington D.C., or be willing to relocate. If selected for a D.C.-based position from another part of the United States, RFE/RL would cover the costs of interview travel and relocation upon appointment. RFE/RL offers a competitive salary and benefits package to include locality pay for employees based in Washington D.C.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the law (no. 101/2000 Sb. regarding personal data protection). This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle zákona č. 101/2000 Sb., o ochraně osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.