RFE/RL's Balkan service announces a selection process for experienced Web Editor to join our team in Prishtina bureau.
Reporting to assigned supervisor, the incumbent is responsible for web writing and editorial requirements of web products and coordination of coverage of breaking news. The incumbent may also perform the duties of a digital broadcaster. A commitment to journalistic impartiality is a given and should guide editors from start to finish.
- Maintains the target audience website, publishes clean and compelling content.
- Edits materials and is responsible for editorial content of own work as well as that of other contributors.
- Edits packages originally produced for TV to publish them in form of articles on the website.
- Ensures that news stories are accurate and written according to RFE/RL’s standards, following company procedures.
- Updates the target audience website in a timely and professional manner, is responsible for consistently meeting all deadlines.
- Works with freelance authors in the coverage region, commissions and edits their stories.
- Coordinates coverage of breaking news and, when necessary, performs duties of a digital broadcaster of breaking news.
- In addition to web production, web editors are encouraged to pitch ideas and expected to take on writing assignments, as needed.
- Collaborates with social media administrators and video producers in adapting the web-content for social media use.
- Responds to the audience e-mail comments/queries.
- Performs other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Combination of education and experience
- Journalism or related field MA - Master degree (Mandatory)
- Around 5 years of experience as a web editor
- Broad, thorough and detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure., mandatory
- Previous journalism experience required, including work in a fast-paced organization with tight deadlines (at least 5 years),
- Online Journalism, Online writing
- Relevant software knowledge,
- Web editing,
- Copy-editing skills,
- In addition to working regular shifts is expected to be available during important, breaking news events, and work as assigned by a supervisory editor.
- Expected to work weekends and work from home, as and when required
- Broadcast region language Native (Mandatory)
- English language Working Knowledge Oral+Written (Mandatory)
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants.
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.