Don’t miss a unique career opportunity working with an exceptional multimedia news organization with its headquarters in Prague, Czech Republic and media professionals from over twenty countries of the world.
Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty, Inc. is seeking a highly-qualified Language Service Director, to take full line management responsibility for the operations of its recently reopened Romanian Service – Radio Europa Libera Romania. Among your first tasks, in cooperation with the Regional director, will be to review the strategy for the language service to ensure maximum effectiveness on digital platforms for a Romanian audience and optimize team of digital journalists to implement this strategy.
The Language Service Director, employed under local contract in Bucharest, will be primarily responsible for daily Romanian language digital news operations, delivering high quality, impactful, innovative and editorially sound content that is on time, factually accurate, impartial, balanced, moderate and non-polemical in tone. The incumbent is responsible for planning and delivering daily content on digital platforms for Romania. He/she works under the supervision of the Regional Director, sets Service strategy and goals in support of RFE/RL's mission and makes sure content adheres to RFE/RL´s Professional Code and industry standards. Is fully responsible for program development and performance management. Native level Romanian and proficient English language knowledge is a must.
Main responsibilities of position:
- Sets the daily news agenda. Supports and provides daily editorial guidance to the Romania based team. Ensures proper news balance. Establishes editorial style guide and ensures adherence to professional and corporate standards.
- Coordinates closely with the Regional director on day-to-day production to ensure activities are running according to schedule and journalists are deployed efficiently.
Supervises the work of content producers to ensure that finished products are of high quality, balanced, and carefully edited.
- Looks far ahead on the calendar for coverage opportunities. Coordinates with the Regional director on coverage strategies. Hosts daily editorial meetings and weekly look-ahead meetings.
- Responsible for budget compliance of the assigned Service.
- Informs digital partners of any change in production or new content offerings.
- Together with the Regional director ensures usage of proper graphic and brand use over digital platforms.
- Together with the Regional director, works compatibly with RFE/RL language services, bureaus to ensure efficient sharing and distribution of content.
- Keeps up with the news and speaking knowledgeably about current events as they relate to specific target country.
- Works with Training and HR to ensure that staff is properly trained and compliant with code of ethics, copyright and fair use.
- Managing and supervising the staff including freelancers (making assignments, timely process of payments, timesheets, vouchers for expenses,).
- Addressing personnel issues (hiring decisions, arranging interns, interviews, managing performance, coaching, motivating, training, merit increases, promotions, reassignments, disciplinary problems) with appropriate involvement of the HR Division and the Regional Director.
- Organization & planning skills at a managerial level, including strategic planning and strong problem-solving.
- People management skills including mentoring & coaching.
- Team management, strong leadership skills.
- Strong ability to establish contacts, work with and further develop media affiliates network in international environment and fostering key relationships.
- Education in journalism, international relations or related field - Bachelor degree required, /Master’s degree preferred/.
- Minimum of 10 years' journalism experience and 5 years of management experience are required.
- Broad, thorough and detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social conditions and issues in Romania as well as international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure.
- Demonstrates knowledge of current media market trends and new technological developments in digital media.
- Exhibits ability to think both creatively and analytically under deadline pressure.
- Previous experience working in a multicultural or a multinational environment; or experience living and working abroad, preferably in relevant RFE/RL target regions.
- Relevant software knowledge and end-user knowledge of MS Office applications. Native level Romanian and proficient English language knowledge.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.