We are looking for a Digital Chief Editor to join Radio Svoboda’s Digital team based in Kyiv. You will lead the development of Radio Svoboda’s social media strategies and oversees its implementation. You will also lead the overall marketing strategies for social media platforms and lead in strategies for the successful promotion and branding of all digital content and to ensure that Radio Svoboda’s strategic goals and objectives are advanced and implemented throughout platforms. You will provide guidance in the editorial direction of digital content produced on various digital platforms (e.g. including reporting and editing of text, video and graphics for direct distribution on social media platforms, production of websites, layout of pages and creation of microsites). You will work closely on how to achieve maximum editorial coordination and product development goals with the aim of growing audiences and engagement. You will be expected to lead innovatively in the development of successful digital strategies and production and be responsible for data analysis, following latest trends in digital media and advises management on integrating them into social media strategies.
- Develops best digital strategies across all digital media platforms; actively seeks to improve content quality and delivery methods.
- Reviews analytic data to identify opportunities and tactics.
- Defines proper targeting segmentation and strategies for marketing campaigns.
- Works closely with digital content producers, web and digital teams across the service to guide and support their work. Helps them to identify and promote engaging original content across online platforms.
- Advises the service editors and producers during critical breaking news events throughout all phases of production process.
- Directs and oversees coverage and coordinates editorial direction of digital team.
- Directs and oversees localization of content for mobile apps.
- Leads and develops look of home and news pages, works closely with graphic designers. Ensures that data and social media teams are updated as needed on trending topics and story leads.
- Manages content solutions for special news reports, projects and microsites.
- Creates and executes strategies that support innovative ways of marketing content on social media platforms.
- Works closely with journalism training to develop training strategies and programs for new staff and staff in the bureaus as needed.
- Works with IT and the Pangea team on behalf of the service ensuring that appropriate software development for digital products meet highest industry standards. Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism or related field or the equivalent in experience.
- 8+ years of progressive experience in digital journalism production in a global news;
- Experience overseeing news editorial planning, writing, editing and production.
- Outstanding understanding of journalistic and editorial processes.
- Strong sense of news judgment, pace, and an eye for detail.
- Excellent communicator.
- Demonstrated history of mentoring and training journalists, an ability to share knowledge, lead and motivate teams.
- Creative thinker: able to generate new ideas/concepts and execute them.
- Proven track record of producing creative, innovative news content for the web.
- Practical working knowledge of digital media technology and command of digital operations and workflow.
- Demonstrated leadership, strategic vision and understanding of tactical planning, setting short-term and long-term plans with defined goals, roles, priorities and meeting timelines.
- Knowledge of digital & social media analytics, understanding of KPIs, audience stats, competitive landscape, SEO and HTML.
- Understanding of visual graphics including info graphic as well as video production – is a plus.
- Excellent writing and exceptional ability to identify content for social/digital media and disseminating it.
- Ability to adapt to and work effectively within a variety of situations, with diverse personalities and teams. Flexibility entails understanding and appreciating different and opposing perspectives on an issue, adapting one’s approach as the requirements of a situation change, and changing or easily accepting changes in one’ s own organization or job requirements.
- Demonstrated project management and teambuilding skills, with the ability to influence others.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite CC (Premiere Pro, After Effects, Final Cut, Photoshop) and iMovie.
- Ukrainian language, proficient level, mandatory
- English language, intermediate level, mandatory
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants.
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.