Current Time is a 24/7 international Russian-language television and digital network broadcasting in more than 20 countries, led by Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty in cooperation with Voice of America. We are looking for a Correspondent who will also serve as a back-up Anchor for our new morning news program based in Kyiv. You will initiate, prepare, produce, and deliver wide variety of journalistic material on multiple platforms (TV, online, social media) as assigned, relevant to the Channel's target audience and to RFE/RL mission, adhering to and striving to exceed RFE/RL content quality standards.
The job requires working an early morning shift from 2:30 till 10:30.
- Creates original content on a wide variety of topics and issues, from pieces to camera and short packages to features and analyses.
- Works as field correspondent and reporter on assignment, determining focus of reports.
- Conducts interviews in the studio or in the field. When able to draw on specialist knowledge, be ready to be interviewed or provide expertise as required.
- Moderates, delivers live, blogs, records, contributes, inputs online, shoots video and photos as required, coordinates other staff, sound and camera crews as necessary.
- Produces live or recorded content, as appropriate, using the available techniques, operates relevant technologies, tools and computer equipment, and/or directs specialists or other involved staff if assigned.
- Reacts to breaking news developments and is ready to report live (with both scripted and ad libitum commentary) or produce recorded pieces at short notice. Ready to work on weekends and outside hours if required by the breaking news developments.
- Maintains up–to–date familiarity with political, economic, and social developments in and related to Ukraine. Briefs himself/herself on latest news and issues prior to starting work day.
- Researches material and, exercising editorial judgment, selects reliable information from a varied range of reputable sources.
- Keeps deadlines and strives to meet or exceed RFE/RL standards for the quality of the output.
- Adheres to RFE/RL editorial standards at all times and takes editorial responsibility for all own material.
- Actively participates in program feedback sessions.
- Is expected to regularly suggest viable coverage ideas and to contribute to program planning.
- Explores innovative angles for coverage, ensuring relevance for the audience and to serve as an example for best practice journalism.
- Serves as a back-up anchor for the news program.
- Undergraduate BA degree in communications (journalism desirable), or related field or the equivalent in experience is preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience as a field TV reporter and working in comparable journalism/editorial/TV production role in a news media organization.
- At least 2 years of experience working as an anchor, moderator, TV host
- Good familiarity with political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as with regional and international affairs.
- Willingness and ability to learn and to work with audio and video equipment, word processing tools, information research tools and new technologies and media platforms as well as to acquire or enhance the knowledge of journalistic practices relevant to the assignment.
- Possesses comprehensive content creation skills that can be held up as examples of best-practice journalism. Produces highly compelling content that is recognized for its high quality and attractiveness to the audience both in and outside RFE/RL. Has developed a network of original sources and cultivated several specific beats. Consistently pitches original ideas and meets or beats deadlines. Thinks outside the box.
- Evidence of creative handling of subjects in content and in form in own work and on any platform and in coaching others in this respect.
- Displays innovative, creative, cross-platform approach to journalism in own work and in influencing others, resulting in viable suggestions for coverage and delivery.
- Takes full responsibility for own professional development both in terms of challenging assignments and in training.
- Has had substantial input into the Current Time output by contributing viable, creative suggestions in editorial meetings strives to increase the Channel's impact.
- Russian language, proficient level, mandatory
- Ukrainian language, proficient level, mandatory
- English language, intermediate level, mandatory
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.